Otoplasty in Boca Raton, FL
Also known as ear surgery, otoplasty means the reshaping of the ear in Greek. Typically, a small incision is made behind the ear and control stitches recreate the Y-shaped part called the anti-helix. Another set are placed to de-project the ears so they are less visible from the front view. These control stitches are permanent and invisible.
Otoplasty is individualized based on your or your child’s particular anatomy. Ears may range from prominent to “cupped” to partially or completely absent. Timing for ear surgery in children is typically around 6-10 years of age or when they become teased and aware of the prominent ears.
Ear correction surgery is performed as an outpatient procedure in the liv Plastic Surgery offices in Boca Raton, South Florida. Adults can have the procedure performed with local anesthesia while complete anesthesia is recommended for most children and teens.
- Improved appearance and self confidence
- No more teasing by other kids
- Better looking in photos and selfies
- Ear Reshaping – Described above, the ear is reshaped and their projection reduced with internal stitches. This is the most common procedure performed.
- Ear Reconstruction – Making a normal-appearing ear after an injury or surgical removal of skin cancer is considered ear reconstruction.
- Ear Recreation – Some children are born with very small or completely absent ears. This condition is termed microtia. A completely new ear can be built from rib cartilage or a specially constructed prosthetic fabricated with 3-D printing to simulate a more normal ear.
You are a good candidate for otoplasty ear correction if you have:
- Prominent or overly projected ears
- A child getting teased for having big or “Dumbo” ears
- Had an ear injury resulting in abnormal shape
- Partially missing an ear due to birth or surgery for skin cancer
Otoplasty surgery results are immediate and visible to the patient the next day when the dressings are removed. To maintain the results, a headband or tennis band must be worn over the newly reshaped ears for about six weeks. The results are permanent and completely natural.
During your or your child’s complimentary consultation, your liv plastic surgery physician will evaluate your ear anatomy and also make sure there are no other congenital conditions or internal hearing impairments present that might have been overlooked. For kids, we want to make sure that they are mature enough and motivated enough to follow postoperative instructions so that the results of the procedure can be excellent.
Otoplasty surgery is generally considered a cosmetic procedure and is not covered by insurance. The cost of your ear surgery will depend on your aesthetic goals and your overall treatment plan. During a consultation, Dr. Ress will review the cost of all your options and if insurance coverage is possible, so there is never a financial surprise. We believe that an investment in yourself is the best investment you will ever make, therefore, we offer financing so you can achieve your aesthetic goals both physically and financially.
At liv Plastic Surgery in Boca Raton, FL, Dr. Ress serves patients in Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Fort Lauderdale and all throughout Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties. We will work to create, nourish, and sustain the look that you desire. We do that with the most technologically advanced methods available. Dr. Ress and the team at liv Plastic Surgery have performed countless successful otoplasty surgeries, and our reputation is evidence of this. Contact us today to schedule your consultation and start the path to having the look that you have always wanted.