Hair Transplant in Boca Raton, FL
What is Hair Loss?
Hair follicles (HF) serve a wide range of functions including temperature regulation, physical protection, sensory input, and frame the face as part of your unique hairstyle. Advances in Hair Restoration both medical and surgical follicular hair transplantation over the last twenty years allow nearly invisible and yet dramatic results. Dr. Ress outlines some key points for your personal research.
Hair Growth Cycle
Ninety percent of hair follicles are actively growing (anagen phase), which typically runs for 3 years on average. Not all at once and for nearly 3 weeks, the follicle will stop growing and constrict in the catagen phase. Ten percent of the follicles go into snooze mode, the telogen phase, which lasts around 3 months.
Male pattern hair loss (sometimes referred to as male androgenetic alopecia) affects up to 50 percent of all white men by 50 years of age. Recent studies show an increased incidence of male pattern baldness. Hair loss is less common in Asian and African Americans. Genetics plays an important role and likely predicts hair loss in male children of fathers with male pattern baldness.
Hair loss affects the androgen (male hormone) sensitive follicles, starting with temples then onto thinning of the vertex (top of the scalp) and frontal regions. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the hormone derived from testosterone, plays a key role in male pattern hair loss, and men with lower levels of DHT have less hair loss.
Female Pattern hair loss in women occurs less commonly but increases with age.
Autoimmune conditions causing hair loss are more commonly in women than men.
Underlying conditions leading to hair loss
- Androgenic Alopecia—most common due to high levels of DHT a derivative of testosterone
- Alopecia Areata- autoimmune hair loss more common in women. Diagnosed clinically and confirmed with biopsy. Several treatment options exist including injecting steroids and using prescription topical anthralin cream.
- Infections- bacterial, fungal or parasitic (tinea capitis, scabies, etc)
- Telogen Effluvium – sudden hair loss due to sudden underlying illness. Hair pulls out easily
- Anagen Effluvium- sudden hair loss due to chemotherapy as an example
- Hair Pulling either by attachments to hair such as hair extensions (Traction Alopecia) or twisting by hand as a nervous habit (Trichotillomania)
- Scar Tissue Formation—permanent hair loss due to injury—burns or disease such as discoid lupus.
Classify baldness pattern, cause, and hair density
Classification helps determine the best treatment options for each individual.
- Men—Hamilton-Norwood Scale with Type I being mild to type VII being severe with only a small band of hair on the lowers scalp and neck. (Click here to see an in-depth review article)
- Women—Ludwig Classification Grades 1-3Review medical and family history
Consider underlying medical issues
Determine the best technique and donor site
Hair Transplant Techniques
- Combined Procedures
- Body Hair
- Non Surgical options
- Out of date techniques to avoid
FUE Hair Restoration Procedure
FUE hair restoration is performed using follicle transplants from the donor areas, typically healthy parts of the scalp. Small incisions are made to ensure that the hair is continuously delivered to the recipient area during the procedure. This is a long and meticulous process that can take many hours and most likely several days.
The doctor may recommend that you have it done several times in months to achieve the best results. The benefits of the FUE procedure:
- No stitches are required.
- Recovery time is often quick.
- The hair restoration procedure is performed outpatient using local anesthesia.
FUT Hair Restoration Procedure
FUT restoration involves removing a small amount of skin from your back or another part of your body. The doctor will then take individual hair follicles and transplant them to the bald areas. This natural hair restoration method is possible because you use your healthy hair follicles to stimulate new growth, but this may leave more scarring behind.
The Best Hair Restoration Method for You
The best hair restoration technique that meets your needs is ultimately the best. FUE and FUT can enhance your hairline and make you have fuller hair that will grow over time. However, FUE has distinct advantages that may be more worth it.
At liv Plastic Surgery our staff will always greet you with a smile and will work most diligently to make your visits, surgery and post-surgical care as comfortable and rewarding as possible. Contact us today to schedule your consultation.