Breast Reconstruction in Boca Raton, FL
Breast reconstruction surgery is a procedure that is done to restore shape, volume and size back to one or both breasts after a mastectomy, lumpectomy or due to congenital deformities. Breast reconstruction often involves multiple procedures that are performed in stages. These procedures will be discussed with your during your consultation and you will receive a comprehensive treatment plan outlining the surgery and timeline. It is up to you to decide if you want to have breast reconstruction surgery at the time of your mastectomy or delay it until a later date. There is no right or wrong answer regarding when to begin your reconstruction surgery, you are in control of this decision and you decide when you are emotionally ready to take this step.
- Regain balance in your breasts
- Clothes fit better
- Overall happiness with your figure
- A sense of restored sexuality
Breast reconstruction can be performed in two main ways:
- Implant-based reconstruction – in this method a breast implant is used to form the new breast. There may be two stages to this option. First, a temporary implant (or tissue expander) is placed under the chest muscle and gradually filled with saline to help create space for the permanent implant. This process can take a couple weeks to a couple months depending on your body’s tolerance. After the area has been stretched the long-term implant is inserted.
- Flap reconstruction – in this method we use your own tissue from another part of your body to form the new breast. We can use tissue from you back, buttocks or abdomen to create the new breast mound. The results of flap reconstruction are generally more natural looking, and there are no concerns about problems with an implant in the future.
You are likely a candidate for breast reconstruction if you:
- Have lost one or both breasts due to a mastectomy or lumpectomy
- Have a congenital deformity in one or both breasts
- Are in relatively good health
- Are ready to restore lost self-esteem and self-confidence
The recovery time for breast reconstruction surgery will depend on what type of surgery you opt to have. With either option there is some mild post-op soreness directly after the procedure and you will be prescribed pain medication to help with any discomfort. Pain tolerance varies person to person, but you should not be experiencing much discomfort two to three days after your surgery. It is recommended that you take three to four days to recover before returning to work or your daily activities. Dr. Ress will guide you on the appropriate time to return to more strenuous activities or heavy lifting.
Your journey towards a new you starts with a simple phone call. Contact us during our convenient office hours and we will promptly schedule a consultation with you to discuss your needs. Surgery of any kind is a big decision both financially and emotionally. Dr. Ress is the best judge of how to provide you with the results that you desire. A consultation with Dr. Ress will help you create realistic options and expectations, and he will guide you through making this investment in yourself.
Breast reconstruction surgery may be covered by insurance. The cost of your breast reconstruction surgery will depend on your unique situation. It is important to understand that your case is unique and your treatment plan will be designed specifically to you, therefore, the cost will be determined after your needs are assessed. During the consultation, Dr. Ress will review with you all your options, so there is never a financial surprise. He will review your insurance coverage and discuss any out-of-pocket costs. We also offer several financing options, as we want to make this experience as easy and comfortable as possible.
Dr. Ress of liv Plastic Surgery is a board-certified and fellowship-trained plastic surgeon and has performed countless successful breast reconstruction surgeries. His reputation in South Florida is exceptional. Dr. Ress has practiced in Boca Raton for 20 years serving patients in Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Fort Lauderdale and all throughout Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties. Contact us today to schedule your consultation and start the path to restored confidence!