Mommy makeover recovery time is of huge importance to consider, when you’re in the process of deciding when to undergo this type of procedure.
Mommy makeover recently made a boom as one of the most popular and most required plastic surgeries, mainly thanks to numerous celebrities, who look inexplicably trim just a few months after giving birth. Well, contrary to popular belief, mommy makeover surgery can not transform patients to their pre-baby selves, and especially not in just a few months span after giving birth.
Both childbirth and mommy makeover surgery represent a huge deal of stress for the patient’s body, which is why undergoing such a procedure is never advisable right before giving birth.
However, if you plan on undergoing this surgery in a recommended span of time after giving birth, and you would like to know how long is mommy makeover recovery time – find out down below, together with some mommy makeover recovery tips.
How long does mommy makeover recovery time last?
The estimated mommy recovery time varies in accordance with the type and number of surgeries that are performed, and that are typically involved in the whole procedure – breast reduction and/or augmentation, buttock augmentation, liposuction, vaginal rejuvenation and tummy tuck.
When taking all of this into consideration, mommy makeover recovery time can take anywhere between 7 to 10 days, while a long term recovery can last approximately between several weeks to months.
However, a recovery time after mommy makeover surgery can fluctuate, due to its’ multifaceted approach and the number of different procedures performed, as well as the post-surgery care. Every patient requires an individual approach, but we still can provide some estimations regarding mommy makeover recovery timeline.
Mommy makeover recovery week by week
- Week 1 – This is the most intense period of recovery after mommy makeover procedure. Your body will be in a state of shock, which is why you will be able to do little other than sleeping eating, going to the bathroom, and moving just enough to get your blood flowing.
1 week post op mommy makeover you’ll probably walk a little hunched, due to discomfort and swelling, which is completely normal. Be sure to make arrangements for handling your usual household routine regarding the usual chores, meal preparation, grocery shopping, baby care and so on.
- Week 2 – This is phase you will feel start noticing a difference in how you feel – sore and tender on surgical sites, but also overall tired, which is why you feel an urge to take naps constantly.
If it’s possible, during this period of recovery after mommy makeover procedure, you can work from home (if you are able), and take brief walks. You doctor can also clear you out for driving, providing you are off pain medications by then.
- Week 3 – This is a recovery time after mommy makeover that some women find the most difficult. It is a time when the healing has slowed down, but the you’re still feeling exhausted. Other women can feel more energized, but still frustrated with the overall progress.
The point is to allow yourself as much time as possible in order to heal correctly, so don’t hesitate to rely on your family and friends for any help you might need.
- Week 4 – During this period of mommy makeover post op, the swelling should be down, and you should start feeling more energized.
This is when you can start wearing your abdominal compression binder occasionally or stop wearing it completely, depending on what your doctor’s advice.
- Week 5 and 6 – Once you hit week 5, you will start feeling immense improvement and changes. At this point you can resume your regular exercise, but in moderate intensity. The swelling should recede and the incisions must be closed.
The swelling could take as long as a year to completely wore off, especially if you have done a tummy tuck, so – have patience.
Mommy makeover day by day recovery
- 24 – 72 hours – Instantly post mommy makeover procedure you will be provided with pain medication. During this stage it is important to avoid Aspirin, Advil and non-steroidal medications.
- 1 – 3 days – The initial mommy makeover healing time will require a night stay in postoperative recovery suite immediately following the procedure. It’s important to start your recovery at a professional facility, with an experienced staff that will be able to mitigate any risks of complications, infections or any other medical emergencies.
- 5-10 days – In this stage you’ll probably be able to get back to work, especially if it’s sedentary, but we advise to work from home during your recovery for mommy makeover until you feel healed enough to work, which can take up to two weeks depending on your recovery.
Mommy makeover recovery pain you might experience
Pain is a completely normal aspect of recovery time for mommy makeover surgery, and one that will considerably fade once you hit week 2.
You should avoid lifting items such as grocery, or even your baby, since this could cause significant pain, along with other strenuous exercise. You will have to take pain medications as prescribed, but also to wean off of them as soon as your doctor advises so.
Mommy makeover recovery tips
Certain tips can help you go through mommy makeover recovery much faster, and these are some of the best universal ones.
Tip 1 – Walk short distances
Although strenuous activity is not advised, walking short distances is highly recommended for a speedy and healthy recovery. Not only does it help your body to fully heal, but also reduces any risks of future complications. Walking can keep the body from becoming stiff, decrease swelling and stop the blood clots from forming.
Tip 2 – Prepare your recovery room
This is something you should do before you undergo surgery. Setting up a recovery area with blankets and pillows can help you feel more comfortable. Have plenty of entertainment at hand, by try to avoid comedy in the beginning, so you don’t tear up some stitches.
Make sure to have a table next your bed, along with some oversized undergarments to make undressing easier.
Tip 3 – Follow post surgery instructions
This tip is essential and can not be repeated enough, even though it sounds like common sense – something patients would do anyway during the mommy makeover recovery time. If you don’t follow your doctor’s instructions carefully, chances are some complications will occur.
The instructions provided for you are meant to help you heal properly in order to get your desired results. This also means you need to attend all follow up appointments to ensure that you’re recovery is going as planned.
Side effects you should be prepared for
Most of the side effects that patients experience post surgery we already mentioned, but here is a slight overview that can help you get a better idea what you can expect if decide to undergo this surgery.
- Grogginess after surgery
- Pain and discomfort
- Numbness, tingling and breast sensitivity
- Post-surgical scarring
These side effects are normal and expected after such a procedure, and you should be able to go through them faster if you follow the instructions of your doctor and ask for help when it’s due during your mommy makeover recovery time.
Prior to the procedure itself, bare in mind that, due to immense stress on your body that was put by pregnancy and childbirth – undergoing a mommy makeover surgery soon afterwards can be dangerous, and no reputable surgeon will agree to do it. It is required to wait at least six months after giving birth before undergoing any invasive plastic surgery – which is something you want to make sure to remember before you make any drastic decisions.